September 27, 2011

Playing with Flour

       If you can't eat gluten, skip this post!  Tomorrow is William's birthday, and I'm breaking my rules and cooking with flour.  Although he really doesn't like sweets, William does love my apple nut cake.  William was so excited this morning because he found Buckycubes--these really cool magnets--online and bought them.  He was confused why I was so upset by this announcement.  I bought these for his birthday months ago, and they've been hiding in my closet!!! The best laid plans of mice and men, am I right?  So now I'm making apple nut muffins to go with his now millions of birthday magnets. 
     My neighbors are never going to want to be friends with me after today.  To keep little particles of flour in the air out of my mouth, I've been wearing a scarf tied around my face all morning.  Yes, sadly this is necessary.  It was also embarrassing when my neighbors walked past my windows and saw me baking while wearing what seemed to be a cowboy outfit.  I couldn't exactly run after them yelling, "No, no, it's okay!  I'm just trying to keep airborne flour particles out of my mouth!"  Nonetheless, the muffins are cooked and, I must say, look and smell delicious!

Apple Nut Muffins
  • 1 1/4 cup white flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, well packed
  • 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
 Mix all of the ingredients together.  It's going to be VERY thick!  But that's a good thing.  Then fold in:
  • 2 cups diced granny smith apples (about 2 medium sized apples)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way full, and bake for 40 minutes at 325C.  Makes 24 delicious muffins.

1 comment:

Hardygirl said...

These look DELISH!! I'm going to make them sans walnuts (because of my Julia and her allergies).

And I absolutely love thinking of you as the "Cooking Bandit"!

sf