September 5, 2011

Sick Day


Today, I am sick.  My fever started two days ago, and yesterday I had to call the head chef of the restaurant where I’m currently working to let him know that I wouldn’t be in today.  I could hear his thoughts straight through the phone—Sure, the new girl’s “sick."  And on Labor Day!  The one nice thing about being sick is that William (the dairy free boyfriend) feels like he needs to really take care of me, aka wait on me hand and foot.  He particularly feels that way now, because he is in fact the one that brought this sickness upon me.  He was sick all last week.  And who do you think was the one waiting on hand and food then? 
He came over at ten thirty this morning and set me up on the couch to watch Lost while he made me lunch.  We had a big pot of chili and his specialty (and conveniently my favorite food) spicy cornbread.  It’s really just donned on us that we are broke, so we’re trying (fingers crossed) to keep our grocery budget way down.  Being both gluten free and dairy free, this is going to be hard for us, but this meal was one heck of a start!  The chili was made with ½ lb. of ground chuck which we got for free from EarthFare with a lovely coupon, ½ large yellow onion, a can each of black beans, pinto beans, and diced tomatoes, 1 cup of previously frozen chicken stock, and lots and lots of spices like cumin, cayenne, Spanish paprika, and dried chipotles.  We topped it off with habenero and cilantro and ate it alongside our delicious cornbread.  Unfortunately, William doesn’t really use recipes even when it comes to baking, but I can tell you that it involved a huge amount of caramelized onions, jalapenos, and fresh roasted corn.  Yum!  Now I’m lounging about in my pajamas (still on from last night) and getting ready to watch Dexter… Maybe this sick thing isn’t that bad after all…

No comments: