September 30, 2013

Ridiculously Delicious Cookie Dough

I have to say, I am completely ashamed that I made the recipe I am about to tell you about.  I am even more ashamed, or maybe just in awe, of how much I actually loved this recipe.  I found it on FoodGawker last night and had seen so many others like it that I felt like I just had to try it.  It is gluten-free chocolate chip cookie dough...meant to be eaten strictly as cookie dough, not turned into actual cookies.  That doesn't sound too crazy, right?  Just wait.  It is the type of cookie dough that is made with...canned chick peas.

I know, it sounds like it would taste awful, but worse than that, it just sounds like one of those ridiculous "healthy" recipes that make you want to yell "JUST EAT THE COOKIE DOUGH ALREADY!  WHY ARE YOU ADDING BEANS TO THIS?!" Like when people try to "sneak" vegetables into mac and cheese.  Why are you doing that?  Why can't you just have a side of vegetables and leave the mac and cheese alone?  Oh right, back to the cookie dough...

Clearly with such strong opinions about these kinds of recipes, it is a miracle that I tried it at all, but since I had all of the ingredients and was jonesing for some cookie dough, I gave it a shot...and I have to say, I am so glad I did. This is currently living in a large tupperware container in my fridge, and I have been eating it with a spoon and a large glass of milk.  My recipe is adapted from this cookie dough recipe, but don't worry about following the measurements exactly--there are no eggs in here, so you can just make it, taste it, adjust it.


Cookie Dough Recipe
  • 1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 Tbsp peanut butter (or any nut butter)
  • 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar (not too firmly packed)
  • 3 Tbsp gluten free oats
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup chopped, roasted almonds
Combine all of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips and almonds in a food processor, and process until smooth.  At this point look at your consistency--it looks like cookie dough, right?!--but if you would like it a little thinner add a splash of milk (dairy-full or dairy-free is fine) and if you would like it thicker add a bit more of the oats.  Now transfer your "dough" that you are probably terrified to actually taste into a bowl and stir in the chocolate chips and almonds.  Now, just trust me and try it...it is awesome!

No comments: