January 14, 2013

Mississippi Inspired

I seriously can't tell you how much I loved being in the Deep South over the holidays. A lot of my time was spent in Apalachicola with William's family, where we essentially lived on these...

But spending a little time in Hattiesburg always leaves me craving more creole food in my life! My mom sent me back up to Boone with 2 pounds of Camelia red kidney beans, the cream of the crop when it comes to making red beans and rice. I followed John Besh's recipe and added some sausage (really, John, what were you thinking?) and ended up with the biggest, most delicious pot of creole comfort food you've ever seen. We ate it for days and have enough in the freezer to feed a Cajun army (I think recipe could easily serve 20).





1 comment:

Sarah Webb said...

Yum. Looks delicious. We loved having you in the Deep South. Come home soon. You need to replenish your supply of Camelia beans! Keep writing.