September 1, 2014

Pakoras with Cold Cucumber Salad

One of my favorite Indian dishes is the pakora.  Essentially any deep fried veggie or protein, it is meant to be eaten as an afternoon snack with tea.  I would choose to eat delicious pakoras over finger sandwiches with my afternoon tea any day, but tonight I decided to make pakoras my main meal. 

William and I have tried to make pakoras a few times before, but they've always turned out doughy.  We wanted them to be light and crisp, and we finally found the perfect recipe for them.  Honestly, they couldn't be easier!  Here's what you do...

Chop whatever vegetables you have in your refrigerator into small, bite-sized pieces.  Some great options are:
  • cauliflower
  • zucchini
  • potatoes
  • carrots
  • onions
  • whatever!
Mix these in a bowl with garam masala, chili powder, turmeric, and salt.  Then toss with chickpea flour and water, alternating until the veggies just stick together when pressed into a ball.  Then fry them in oil at 350 degrees until crispy and brown.  This video taught me how to make them perfectly, and the woman is adorable.



I also made chicken and kale pakoras, and the kale were definitely my favorite!



To lighten things up (since we were eating plates full of fried food for dinner), I made a spicy cucumber salad.  This was a perfect, refreshing side-dish, and it's so fast to make.

Chop 2 cucumbers, a little cilantro, 1 chili pepper, and 2 scallions, and combine in a mixing bowl.  Then in a small dish dissolve 1/3 cup sugar and a sprinkle of salt in 1/2 cup white vinegar and pour over the cucumber mixture.  Refrigerate until cold, and you're done!  This is the perfect summer dish--so cold and spicy!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Looks amazing!