October 23, 2014

Healthy Banana Pancakes

I love browsing sites like Tastespotting and Foodgawker to get ideas for new recipes to try, and recently I kept seeing one breakfast recipe that stood out.  Healthy Banana Pancakes.  Pancakes are easily in my top 5 favorite foods, so hearing of a healthy recipe for them, I was intrigued and very skeptical.  But more importantly, I was hungry, and since I already had all of the ingredients in my kitchen, I decided to try them.

The first time I made them, I was amazed by how much they really look like pancakes, though a little disappointed by the fact that they don't have the same buttery, flour-y goodness of pancakes.  Perhaps this is because they don't contain any butter or flour.  However.  They are actually really good!  I make them almost every morning now, and William has even requested them for a breakfast-themed dinner.  This is no small feat as he is not usually a breakfast-for-dinner kind of man. The last great thing about these (besides the fact that they are quick, cheap, healthy, and delicious!) is that there is really no recipe!  Doctor them up however you like.  Add spices like cinnamon, vanilla, or, my favorite, almond extract.  Top them with blueberries or chocolate chips.  Mix in nut butters, granola, or pumpkin.  Endless possibilities, my friends.

Healthy Banana Pancakes (Original Recipe)
-1/2 banana
-2 pinches baking powder
-small pinch salt
-1 egg

Mash all ingredients until completely smooth.  Cook and top as you would a pancake.

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes ...I'm slightly embarrassed I did this, but that stopped once I tasted them.
-1/2 banana
-2 Tbsp canned pumpkin
-2 pinches baking powder
-1 pinch pumpkin pie spice
-small pinch salt
-1 egg
-maple syrup

Mash banana and pumpkin until it has the consistency of pudding.  
 

Then add the baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt and mix well.  

Finally, add the egg and whisk until completely smooth. 

 
In a skillet, warm a small pat of Earth Balance or butter.  Mmmm...Great buttery taste...

Spoon the batter into the hot pan--mine usually makes 6 pancakes.  


Flip once bubbles form on the tops of the pancakes. 


 Remove to a plate and top with maple syrup.  Enjoy!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a great recipe! I recently read an article on how you can eat well to keep your hearing healthy, and how banana pancakes in particular are good for your hearing: http://bit.ly/HearingRecipesPancakes